Probiotics which are living microorganisms are known to have many health benefits and can be consumed through some of the food items that we eat. As we all know, everything has some right ways to follow for getting more effectiveness. You can get probiotics from many of the food items or supplements of probiotics from manufacturers are also available. It will help you with many functions as it is a helpful bacteria. So, let us know more about and a lot about Probiotics.
What are Probiotics?
Probiotics are good bacteria that are living and have a lot of health benefits. These bacteria are really good for our digestive system as they help in smooth digestion. So, you can consume it for having a good and digestive system. Probiotics are present in many food items that we all eat most times and also they are available in the form of supplements for easy consumption. As we know, our body contains a lot of bacteria that are good and bad, and Probiotics come under the category of good bacteria and keeps your gut healthy. Many types of bacteria are classified under Probiotics and they all have many different health benefits. Before using it without any further knowledge you can ask your doctor for help in finding the one that is best for you.
- Lactobacillus is one of the common Probiotic used and that we all are familiar with. These bacterias are found in yogurt, fermented foods, etc, and are of great help with diarrhea, and also helps in the digestion of lactose for people who cannot digest it.
- Bifidobacterium is another probiotic that has its source in many dairy, milk related products and it helps to slowly get rid of Irritable Bowel-Syndrome.
- “Saccharomyces-boulardii” is another probiotic which helps in fighting many digestive conditions like diarrhea and others.
What are the functions performed by it?
Probiotics are useful for many parts of our body that includes the gut, vagina, etc. So, here we can discuss details about its function and use in these 2 body parts.
- Probiotics are used commonly for sustaining our gut health. It helps in easy and comfortable digestion which can avoid us from falling under many digestion-related problems that we may face. It is found out that the probiotic named Lactobacillus GG shortens diarrhea that is found in infants and not in adults. Many studies have revealed that probiotics have a greater chance of reducing antibiotic-related diarrhea. Also, many researchers have found out that the problem of constipation, which is opposite to diarrhea can be treated by probiotics due to some of the benefits it possesses. It is also said that probiotic therapy can help you with Irritable Bowel Syndrome and many other problems that are related to digestion.
- Probiotics are also good at keeping the urogenital healthy, which means it helps us with vaginal health. The Lactobacilli strain of bacteria usually makes it too acidic for the other harmful bacterias to survive, but it may put out some factors that are related to its balance. This treatment with probiotics can help you in restoring the balance of microflora which helps in problems that are related to the vagina like a yeast infection, urinary tract infection, etc. Many studies have shown that it seems that a lot of women consume or insert yogurt into the vagina to fight against infections of yeast and all. Administration of probiotics like Lactobacilli orally or through the vagina can help you with fighting against these infections. Normally, probiotics are safe to use and are already present in our body in a required amount.
How do they work on our bodies?
We have already discussed that the main function of probiotics is to maintain health in your body. Probiotics represent a category in good bacterias that will fight against the bad bacteria which enter our body. When we feel sick, the bad bacterias enter our body in an increased number and which leads to a knock-off of body balance. So, the probiotics which are good bacterias are the ones that fight with these foreign particles and regain the balance of our body. These probiotics help us with supporting our immune system and also, in controlling inflammation.
It helps you in maintaining a good and healthy digestive system and supports the cells by preventing the bad bacteria that may have entered our body through any means. Probiotics are already present in our body in an amount that is required which will fulfill all of these functions that are meant for the health process. In some cases, people may lack the amount of this good bacteria which is most needed by our body, and in that case, you may have to administer your body with external probiotics through some types of supplements that are made available.
Food items that are rich in Probiotics
- Yogurt is one of the common food items that are a rich source of probiotics. It is made from milk that is fermented by lactic acid bacteria. It also helps in reducing diarrhea in children that may be caused by the administration of antibiotics.
- Kefir is made by adding kefir grains to milk, which is a probiotic milk drink. It is good at fighting against the problems that arise due to indigestion.
- Sauerkraut is a traditional drink that is made from shredded cabbage which is fermented by lactic acid bacteria. It is rich in antioxidants that are good for our eyes.
- Tempeh is an Indonesian-origin product that is made of fermented soybean. It is an amazing choice for vegetarians to add to their diet chart as it contains many nutritious probiotics.
- Kimchi is a Korean side dish that is mostly made with fermented cabbage but also is made with other vegetables. This product contains lactic acid bacteria and is of great help in digestion and is rich in minerals and vitamins.
- Miso is a Japanese seasoning that is made by fermenting soybeans which is also a good source of protein.
How to take it for getting more health benefits?
Some of the studies say that the timing of consumption of these supplements play a role in its action. But, many manufactures have opinions about taking it empty and after food as the probiotic type changes. The bacteria named Saccharomyces boulardii is known to survive when consumed with a meal or without a meal. Some others like Bifidobacterium and Lactobacillus survive the best when it is taken thirty minutes before the meal. Some microorganisms can survive in many conditions of our body. It can also show their effect according to the meal or food item it is taken with. The survival rate of the microorganism can increase when it is taken with a particular food product than with another one. Some researchers even say that a little amount of fat in the digestive tract can also help in the survival of the bacteria some more time. You can seek advice from an expert and can achieve more benefits that way.
Benefits of Taking Probiotics
- Probiotics are considered to be the good bacterias which help your body in fighting against foreign particles or bad bacteria. Our body might experience imbalance as a result of some sickness, which can be restored with the help of these microorganisms. It is commonly found in most fermented food items or else it is also available as supplements.
- Probiotics are mostly known to prevent and reduce diarrhea which may be due to the side effect of antibiotics. Many kinds of research that were done have concluded that it showed a reduction of diarrhea in a great amount. The effectiveness that is offered by different types of probiotics may be different and it can even vary due to its dosages.
- Some strains of probiotics also help us in maintaining a good and healthy heart. It can help break down bile from being reabsorbed in the gut which might enter the blood as the cholesterol which is not good for the heart.
- As probiotics keep the digestive system healthy, it even helps in reducing the problems related to digestion. Many studies have confirmed that it is having a great impact on reducing many symptoms of bowel disorders.
As we came across Probiotics, we got to know about their vast health benefits. They are microorganisms that are mainly helping our digestive system to be smooth and healthy. It is good for many body parts, like the gut, heart, vagina, etc. These probiotics are commonly found in food products that are fermented and are also available in the form of supplements. These probiotics are present in our body, if there is a necessity for more of these microorganisms in your body we can administer it through other means like taking supplements. It is better to consult a doctor or an expert in this field who can tell you which type of probiotic should you consume for more effectiveness and how to, when to, etc.