Friday, 26 July 2013 02:24(JollofNews) – President Yahya Jammeh of the Gambia has lifted the controversial ban on the Gunjur-Marlborough link.
As reported in our Friday edition, Yahya Jammeh imposed a ban on the coastal village and the British town following a dispute among the villagers of Gunjur.
However, the villagers were told on Sunday during a meeting with the minister of local government and lands, Momodou Aki Bayo that the president has decided to lift the ban after taking into consideration the benefits the link has brought to the two communities.
Meanwhile, leaders of the Gunjur community have agreed to set up a new Gunjur Link Committee (GLC).
According to Dr Nick Maurice of Marlborough Brandt Group, the new committee is going to be set up through a new democratic process involving representatives of the eight kabilos (wards) in the village.
He added: ‘’A new constitution will be prepared and we will be consulted in that process. We pay tribute to the former GLC for the considerable voluntary work it has done over the years in creating and maintaining a link with an international reputation and which has brought benefits to hundreds of people in both communities.’’
Dr Maurice further added that ‘’ this has been a very difficult time for all of us not least at the time that the link between our two communities was (temporarily) banned. But now is the time to move on both in the spirit of friendship that has existed for so long, and reconciliation.
‘’We look forward to working with the new GLC in the same spirit of partnership and hope that our work together will be as remarkable as it has been for the last 30 years.’’
Written by PK Jarju and Yusupha Cham
Who's OnlineWe have 83 guests and 2 members online
Should homosexuality be legalised in The Gambia?
- Veteran Gambian Journo Hits Back At Jammeh
- Gambia’s Jammeh Attends Mandela’s Memorial
- Yahya Jammeh Blames External Forces For Africa’s Wars
- APRC Retains Seat In Constituency By—Election
- South Africa’s Nelson Mandela Dies
- European Union To Vote On Gambia’s Aid Package
- Exiled Gambian Editor Publishes Memoir
- Three Gambians Remanded For Stealing Yahya Jammeh’s Cows
- Gambia Makes U-turn On Chicken Legs Ban
- Gambian Detained For Bad—Mouthing Jammeh Freed
- Gambia’s Information Minister Nana Grey—Johnson Fired
- Opposition Parties To Hold Unity Rallies In Gambia
- Exorbitant Demands For Aid Causes Gambia/Taiwan Tie Break
- Taiwan Regrets Gambia’s Decision To Cut Ties
- Gambia Cuts Diplomatic Ties With Taiwan