Who's OnlineWe have 188 guests online
Gambian MPs Pays Tribute To Paul Mendy
Monday, 10 June 2013 23:24(JollofNews) – Gambian Members of Parliament have paid tribute to Paul Mendy, former MP for Kombo South. Mr Mendy 54, who represented the Kombo South constituency from 1997 to 2012, died last Monday at the Serekunda hospital after a brief illness.
Abdoulie Bojang, speaker of the Gambian National Assembly described Mr Mendy as a hardworking and patriotic man who served the Gambia and the Assembly with diligence respect and dignity.
He said during Mr Mendy's long tenure as MP, he served in many parliamentary select committees including the Assembly Authority from 1997 to March 2012; standing committee on Privileges; select committee on Tourism, Arts, Culture and Handicraft; head of National Assembly delegation to the Ecowas Parliament –Abuja; chairman ombudsman special select committee; World Bank Network and select committee on Local Government and Lands.
"Anyone who knew him and was fortunate to work with him can bear witness that he was a very dedicated, humble and supportive representative of the people, a very polite, courteous and a honest gentleman," Mr Bojang said.
He added: “As we say goodbye to Hon.Paul Mendy, we thank him for his selfless service to this country and the National Assembly in particular. We all join the Mendy family to mourn and pray for you; may God the Almighty grant all of us the fortitude to bear this irreplaceable loss. We also pray that God the Almighty grant Hon. Paul Laurence Mendy eternal rest, and may his soul and the souls of all the faithfuls who departed before him rest in peace."
Also paying tribute to late MP, the vice president of the Gambia, Isatou Njie-Saidy, said Mr Mendy gave his best to his family, his constituency and to those who elected him for three conservative terms.
She added: “He gave his best to his party and to humanity. He is a respectable and humble man and his death has left a great vacuum which will be difficult to fill."
Written by JollofNews
CONTACT US ON SKYPE
Should homosexuality be legalised in The Gambia?
- Gambian Opposition Leaders Sing Discordant Tunes Ahead Of 2016 Polls
- Flashback: Halifa’s Letter To Jammeh On The Killing Of Student Protesters
- GCC Website, Future Of The Struggle And A Time For National Resistance
- Exiled Former Gambian Student Leader Speaks
- GMC’s Mai Fatty Pays Tribute To Fallen Gambian Protesters
- What I Saw On Gambia’s Black Monday
- More Troubles for Ex-Gambian Justice Minister
- Gambia, EU To Resume Talks On Political Reform
- Youssou Ndour's Manager Declines To Comment On Gambian Concert
- Macky Sall: Africa 'Land Of Opportunity' For Investors
- Gambia’s State House Imam Likens Homosexuality To Terrorism
- Gambia Offer Half A Million Bounty For Missing President’s Ally
- Gambia's GDP To Make Significant Growth
- G/Bissau's Ex-President Kumba Yala Dies
- Njogu Bah, Lamin Jobarteh & Pa Harry Sentenced To 2 Years In Jail
Algeria's bloody past, energy wealth keep status quo for nowALGIERS (Reuters) - Cramped with his young wife and three infants in a shack in...