Who's OnlineWe have 172 guests and 1 member online
DONATE TO JOLLOFNEWS
Former Gambian MP Paul Mendy Dies In Detention
Tuesday, 04 June 2013 13:46(JollofNews) – A former Gambian member of parliament has died this morning in state custody.
Paul Mendy, 54, who represented Kombo South constituency from January 1997 to March 2012 is reported to have died at the NIA headquarters in Banjul where he was held in connection with alleged financial misappropriation at the Kanilai Family Farm Ltd.
The cause of his death is unknown and Gambian authorities are yet to issue a public statement.
Until his death, Mr Mendy was the operations and logistic manager at President Yahya Jammeh's farm. He was in 2010 awarded Officer of the National Order of the Republic of The Gambia – (ORG) by President Jammeh.
While serving as MP, Mr Mendy worked in many parliamentary select committees and was also chairman of the parliamentary task force for the 2011 Donor Roundtable Conference which was aimed at mobilising resources and soliciting donor support for the successful implementation of the strategic development and investment plan of the National Assembly 2010-2014.
Written by PK Jarju
CONTACT US ON SKYPE
Should homosexuality be legalised in The Gambia?
- Ex—Gambia’s Chief Justice Is In Ghana – Gov’t
- Ex—Foreign Minister Decries Absence Of United Opposition In Gambia
- Gambians Urged To Take A Stand Against President Jammeh
- DUGA Concludes Sensitisation Tour In Senegal
- Sacked Gambia’s Chief Justice In Hiding
- Gambia To Dump English As Official Language
- Gambia’s Jammeh Calls For Industrialisation Of Africa
- New Gambian Chief Justice Sworn—In
- Gambia's Minority Leaders Slams President Jammeh
- British Library Awards Grant To Gambia
- Serious Corruption Uncovered In Gambia
- Gambia's Jammeh Blames The West For Africa’s Instability
- Gambia’s Yahya Jammeh Takes On Terrorist Groups
- Yahya Jammeh Warns Against Street Demonstration In Gambia
- Njogu Bah, Lamin Jobarteh & Pa Harry Sentenced To 2 Years In Jail