Who's OnlineWe have 168 guests online
DONATE TO JOLLOFNEWS
Friday, 15 November 2013 19:24(JollofNews) – Taiwan has expressed its shock at the Gambia's sudden decision to sever the 18 year-old diplomatic ties between the two countries.
The president of Gambia, Yahya Jammeh on Thursday announced that he was cutting diplomatic ties with Taiwan for reasons of "national strategic interest".
But Simon Ko, Taiwanese vice Foreign Minister said his country was surprised and regrets the Gambia’s decision.
"Our government express shock and regret that Gambian President Yahya Jammeh sent a letter to our embassy in Gambia on 14 November to inform us [of] the immediate termination of ties," he told the BBC World Service.
"We think this is Jammeh's personal decision," he added.
President Jammeh was rumoured to have made this decision under political pressure from mainland China or after being turned down by Taiwan over his request of huge amount of financial aids.
However, the Gambia’s ambassador to Taiwan, Ebrima Jarjou, said there are no political rifts between the two countries.
He said he was also surprised by Mr Jammeh’s decision as he was not given any prior notice before the announcement was made on the Gambian state media.
Meanwhile, the Gambian flag was this morning taken down from the head office of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA).
Written by PK Jarju
CONTACT US ON SKYPE
Should homosexuality be legalised in The Gambia?
- Ex—Gambia’s Chief Justice Is In Ghana – Gov’t
- Ex—Foreign Minister Decries Absence Of United Opposition In Gambia
- Gambians Urged To Take A Stand Against President Jammeh
- DUGA Concludes Sensitisation Tour In Senegal
- Sacked Gambia’s Chief Justice In Hiding
- Gambia To Dump English As Official Language
- Gambia’s Jammeh Calls For Industrialisation Of Africa
- New Gambian Chief Justice Sworn—In
- Gambia's Minority Leaders Slams President Jammeh
- British Library Awards Grant To Gambia
- Serious Corruption Uncovered In Gambia
- Gambia's Jammeh Blames The West For Africa’s Instability
- Gambia’s Yahya Jammeh Takes On Terrorist Groups
- Yahya Jammeh Warns Against Street Demonstration In Gambia
- Njogu Bah, Lamin Jobarteh & Pa Harry Sentenced To 2 Years In Jail