Monday, 30 September 2013 12:49(JollofNews) – President Yahya Jammeh of the Gambia has vowed to get rid of all acts of homosexuality in his country.
Mr Jammeh, who recently described homosexuality as one of the greatest threat to humanity, said being gay and lesbian is an act of Satan, which his government will never encourage.
“The Gambia will never condone the practice of homosexuality, which is being encouraged by devil worshipers,” Mr Jammeh told local journalists at the Banjul International Airport shortly after his return from the 68th session of the United Nations’ General Assembly in New York.
“In fact Islam, Christianity, Judaism and all the good religions on the earth have condemned homosexuality. The so-called Western powers can encourage homosexuality in their countries and in their own compounds, but it cannot be imposed on other countries.”
Mr Jammeh who has previously threatened to ‘cut-off’ the heads of gays and lesbians in the Gambia further added: “We are Muslims and good Christians and we will not entertain homosexuality. We are going to fight it tooth and nail. We will confront Satan anywhere from the sky to the deepest part of the ocean; we are not going to accept homosexuality,” he concluded.
Homosexuality is illegal in the Gambia and many suspected gays and lesbians are persecuted by the state.
Written by PK Jarju
Who's OnlineWe have 193 guests and 2 members online
Should homosexuality be legalised in The Gambia?
- Veteran Gambian Journo Hits Back At Jammeh
- Gambia’s Jammeh Attends Mandela’s Memorial
- Yahya Jammeh Blames External Forces For Africa’s Wars
- APRC Retains Seat In Constituency By—Election
- South Africa’s Nelson Mandela Dies
- European Union To Vote On Gambia’s Aid Package
- Exiled Gambian Editor Publishes Memoir
- Three Gambians Remanded For Stealing Yahya Jammeh’s Cows
- Gambia Makes U-turn On Chicken Legs Ban
- Gambian Detained For Bad—Mouthing Jammeh Freed
- Gambia’s Information Minister Nana Grey—Johnson Fired
- Opposition Parties To Hold Unity Rallies In Gambia
- Exorbitant Demands For Aid Causes Gambia/Taiwan Tie Break
- Taiwan Regrets Gambia’s Decision To Cut Ties
- Gambia Cuts Diplomatic Ties With Taiwan