Saturday, 03 August 2013 21:33(JollofNews) – A 13 month-old Gambian boy who was born without an anal opening is in dire need of financial assistance to undergo corrective surgery.
Omar Barry has gone through two operations in the Gambia but needs further surgery in neighbouring Senegal. Doctors said the operation would cost about 300,000 CFA, which his poor family cannot afford.
“My son is really suffering,” Omar’s mum said. “He has been going through a lot of pain and suffering since he was born and he continuously has diarrhoea and fever almost every other day.”
Mrs Barry added that her family is finding it even difficult to take Omar to the health centre for treatment due to financial constraints.
“I cannot afford to take him to a clinic or buy his medications and bandages to cover the opening on his stomach. I now use the bits I tore from my own cloths as bandages,” a tearful Mrs Barry said.
She added that Omar needs 24-hour care as he goes to toilet continuously.
“I don’t go out or attend social gatherings with my friends as Omar’s condition is getting worse by the day,” Mrs Barry said.
“My son cannot even play like other kids. I got him some toys the other day in order to put a smile on his face but he is unable to play with them because of the pain. I’m desperately in need of help and am appealing to members of the public, government, institutions, NGOs and philanthropists to please help me to save my son’s life.”
Who's OnlineWe have 123 guests and 1 member online
Should homosexuality be legalised in The Gambia?
- APRC Retains Seat In Constituency By—Election
- South Africa’s Nelson Mandela Dies
- European Union To Vote On Gambia’s Aid Package
- Exiled Gambian Editor Publishes Memoir
- Three Gambians Remanded For Stealing Yahya Jammeh’s Cows
- Gambia Makes U-turn On Chicken Legs Ban
- Gambian Detained For Bad—Mouthing Jammeh Freed
- Gambia’s Information Minister Nana Grey—Johnson Fired
- Opposition Parties To Hold Unity Rallies In Gambia
- Exorbitant Demands For Aid Causes Gambia/Taiwan Tie Break
- Taiwan Regrets Gambia’s Decision To Cut Ties
- Gambia Cuts Diplomatic Ties With Taiwan
- Gambia’s Jammeh Admits ‘I Am A Dictator’
- Gambians In London Takes To The Street
- Senegal‚ Casamance Rebels Set Talks Agenda