Sunday, 09 September 2012 20:44(JollofNews) – World music icon Youssou Ndour starred in a charity concert on Saturday for flood victims in Senegal, his first performance since becoming culture minister in April.
Ndour, who was disqualified for running for president in a March election, performed alongside three other Senegalese music stars -- Ismael Lo, Thione Seck and Omar Pene.
"This is a moment of national solidarity, and a very important moment for Senegalese music and culture," he said.
Ndour said the concert raised the equivalent of around 148,000 euros for the victims of floods that have killed at least 13 people in two weeks and left thousands homeless. Organisers had said they were hoping to raise around 230,000 euros.
Who's OnlineWe have 111 guests online
Should Death Penalty Be Abolished In The Gambia?
Follow us on Twitter
- Top Gambian Sports Executive Officer Dies
- G/Bissau Declares Mourning For Ex-Interim President
- Book Review: Standing Up Against Injustice – Dr. Amadou S Janneh
- Gambia's Jammeh In LGBT 'Hall Of Shame'
- Ex-Gambian Minister Publishes Memoirs
- Gambia Supports UN Resolution On Syria
- Two Gambians In Court For 'Gay Sex'
- Iranian Azim Aghajani Convicted Over Nigeria Arms
- Amnesty Int’l Denounces Gambia’s Harsh Criminal Law
- Michael Scales Gives To JollofNews
- Jollof News Online Appeals For Help
- Twelve Bomb Disposal Experts Abducted In Senegal
- Gambia Sticks Two Fingers Up At Britain
- Gambian Women Still Facing Discrimination, Sexual Violence
- Bissau Leader Pledges Election By Year End