Friday, 07 September 2012 19:13(JollofNews) – Youssou Ndour, a world music icon and Senegal's culture minister, will star Saturday in a charity concert for flood victims in Dakar, organisers said.
"I consulted the culture minister, Youssou Ndour... and we decided to organise something to assist those affected" by the floods, ministry official Omar Pene told AFP.
Ndour, who decided to run for president this year only to be disqualified by the top court before the March poll, will perform alongside Ismael Lo, Thione Seck and Omar Pene, who is also a singer.
"It's the first time the four of them hold a concert together. It's a joint project, they are not simply going to sing one after the other," said Charles Faye, one of Ndour's close friends.
Organisers are hoping to raise around $300,000 for the victims of floods that have killed at least 13 people in two weeks and left thousands homeless.
Who's OnlineWe have 104 guests and 1 member online
Should homosexuality be legalised in The Gambia?
- Presidential Cattle Snatchers Granted Bail In Gambia
- Veteran Gambian Journo Hits Back At Jammeh
- Gambia’s Jammeh Attends Mandela’s Memorial
- Yahya Jammeh Blames External Forces For Africa’s Wars
- APRC Retains Seat In Constituency By—Election
- South Africa’s Nelson Mandela Dies
- European Union To Vote On Gambia’s Aid Package
- Exiled Gambian Editor Publishes Memoir
- Three Gambians Remanded For Stealing Yahya Jammeh’s Cows
- Gambia Makes U-turn On Chicken Legs Ban
- Gambian Detained For Bad—Mouthing Jammeh Freed
- Gambia’s Information Minister Nana Grey—Johnson Fired
- Opposition Parties To Hold Unity Rallies In Gambia
- Exorbitant Demands For Aid Causes Gambia/Taiwan Tie Break
- Taiwan Regrets Gambia’s Decision To Cut Ties